NAFTA Professional

TN: NAFTA Professional

The TN is a temporary work permit available to Canadian and Mexican citizens who will be working in the U.S. in one of the professional occupations listed in Appendix 1603.D.1 of NAFTA. This list contains over 60 occupations, including Engineer, Management Consultant, Accountant, Computer Systems Analyst and College/University Teacher. Each occupation has specific educational requirements, with most requiring a Bachelor’s degree in a related field. The TN can be approved for part-time or full-time employment.

General Requirements:

  • Canadian or Mexican citizenship
  • Job Offer in the U.S. or work assignments contracted through Canadian or Mexican employer
  • Degrees, transcripts and/or experience letters

Common Occupations:

Filing Process:

Canadian citizens may apply for a TN through a USCIS Service Center or may apply directly at a U.S. port of entry, such as the Peace Bridge in Buffalo, NY. Port of entry cases are issued a same day decision. Mexican citizens must apply for the TN at a U.S. Consulate and must obtain a TN Visa Stamp to enter the U.S.


Canadian citizens may obtain a TN for up to 3 years at a time. Mexican citizens may obtain a TN for up to 2 years at a time. Currently, there are no limits on the number of TN extensions an individual may obtain.

At this time, we are committed to the health and safety of our clients, our staff and our community. The government continues to accept applications and process them as normal. We are equipped to continue to prepare and process all cases. Please keep in mind that most cases take months to process. We want to continue to prepare and process these cases, so that when we do get through this crisis, you will not have lost crucial processing time. We will perform all consultations over the phone and can be best reached through our contact form.