Intracompany Transfer for Managers/Executives

L-1A: Intracompany Transfer for Managers/Executives

The L-1A visa is a temporary work permit available to individuals who are transferring to a U.S. company as either a Manager or Executive. In order to qualify for an L-1A, you must have worked outside the U.S. as a Manager or Executive for at least one year. You must have been employed by a parent, subsidiary or affiliate of the U.S. company. The L-1A can be approved for part-time or full-time employment and can be very useful in establishing and expanding a new U.S. business. Spouses of L-1A employees may also apply for an open work permit called an EAD card.

General Requirements:

  • Qualifying relationship between the U.S. company and foreign company: Parent/Subsidiary or Affiliate (both companies owned by the same person/corporation or group)
  • At least one year of full-time employment as Manager or Executive
  • Foreign company must remain operational

Common Occupations:

  • President
  • CEO
  • Operations Manager
  • Sales Manager

Filing Process:

L-1A petitions are filed with a USCIS Service Center. Canadian citizens also have the option to apply directly at a U.S. port of entry, such as the Peace Bridge in Buffalo, NY. Port of entry cases are issued a same day decision.


L-1A petitions can be approved for up to 3 years at a time, for a total of 7 years. However, there are some exceptions that would allow you to extend your status for longer.

At this time, we are committed to the health and safety of our clients, our staff and our community. The government continues to accept applications and process them as normal. We are equipped to continue to prepare and process all cases. Please keep in mind that most cases take months to process. We want to continue to prepare and process these cases, so that when we do get through this crisis, you will not have lost crucial processing time. We will perform all consultations over the phone and can be best reached through our contact form.