E-3: Professional Workers

E-3: Professional Workers

The E-3 visa is temporary work permit available to Australian citizens who will be working in the U.S. in a “specialty occupation,” meaning the job requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent). In order to apply for an E-3, you must be sponsored by a U.S. employer on either a part-time or full-time basis.

General Requirements:

  • Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
  • Job Offer from a U.S. employer
  • Detailed job description
  • Minimum salary

Common Occupations:

  • Engineers
  • Financial Analysts
  • IT Professionals
  • Business Specialists
  • Doctors
  • Teachers

Filing Process:

Most clients prefer to apply for the E-3 at a U.S. Consulate in Australia. Processing times vary by Consulate, but the application requirements remain the same. The E-3 applicant must present an employer support letter, certified Labor Condition application and supporting evidence and documentation. If the Consular Officer approves the case, an E-3 visa is issued. The individual is authorized to begin work as soon as he or she enters the U.S.


E-3 visas are issued for up to 2 years at a time. Unlike the H-1B, there is no limit on the number of years an individual can maintain E-3 status or the number of extensions one may obtain.

At this time, we are committed to the health and safety of our clients, our staff and our community. The government continues to accept applications and process them as normal. We are equipped to continue to prepare and process all cases. Please keep in mind that most cases take months to process. We want to continue to prepare and process these cases, so that when we do get through this crisis, you will not have lost crucial processing time. We will perform all consultations over the phone and can be best reached through our contact form.