Family Sponsorship

If you are over 18 and you are a Canadian Citizen, OR a registered Indian in Canada under the Canadian Indian Act OR a Permanent Resident of Canada, you can be a familial sponsor. Our firm concentrates on the following family sponsorship:

  • Spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner,
  • Son/daughter
  • Parent, grandparent

Spouse/Common Law Spouse/Conjugal Partner/Son or Daughter of a Canadian Citizen

Filing for permanent residence in this category can be an intimidating process. The CIC website outlines the process but what does it all mean? Why are they asking for that information and documentation? Every evidential document and every question serve a particular purpose. It is important to understand what your legal rights and responsibilities as both as a sponsor and a principal applicant.

Parent or Grandparent of a Canadian Citizen

You need an invitation from CIC before you can apply. To get the invitation you must make sure you are eligible to be a sponsor and apply. Submissions for 2018 are no longer being accepted. The process involves wait to see if CIC invites you as they select and invite sponsors at random.

Child of a Canadian Citizen

Depending on where and when the child was born, they may have been entitled to Canadian citizenship at birth. A child born abroad to a Canadian citizen parent is generally able to file for proof of that citizenship (see Derivative Citizenship). If your child was born after you obtained citizenship the process for immigrating them to Canada is similar to the Spousal Sponsorship outlined above.

General Requirements:

  • Bona fide relationship as evidenced by a legal marriage certificate or proof of common law relationship (Or birth certificate in the case of Son/Daughter)

  • Evidential back up of this relationship which can come in many forms

  • Proof of status in Canada (if inland processing)

Filing Process:

The filing process for permanent residence through a spouse or common law spouse can be accomplished inland (from Canada) or outside Canada. When filing with inland processing you must provide evidence of your legal status in Canada. There are benefits and detriments relating to each filing method. It is important to consult an experienced immigration professional in order to evaluate your unique situation and provide you with all your options.

At this time, we are committed to the health and safety of our clients, our staff and our community. The government continues to accept applications and process them as normal. We are equipped to continue to prepare and process all cases. Please keep in mind that most cases take months to process. We want to continue to prepare and process these cases, so that when we do get through this crisis, you will not have lost crucial processing time. We will perform all consultations over the phone and can be best reached through our contact form.