H-1B: Professional Workers

H-1B: Professional Workers

The H-1B visa is temporary work permit available to individuals who will be working in the U.S. in a “specialty occupation,” meaning the job requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent). In order to apply for an H-1B, you must be sponsored by a U.S. employer on either a part-time or full-time basis. Oftentimes, the H-1B is used a stepping-stone toward obtaining a Green Card.

General Requirements:

  • Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
  • Job Offer from a U.S. employer
  • Detailed job description
  • Minimum salary

Common Occupations:

  • Engineers
  • Financial Analysts
  • IT Professionals
  • Business Specialists
  • Doctors
  • Teachers

Filing Process:

Unfortunately, USCIS limits the numbers of H-1Bs issued each fiscal year to 65,000 for bachelor degreed professionals and an additional 20,000 for individuals who hold a U.S. master’s degree or higher. The limitation is known as the “H-1B Cap.” USCIS allows employers to file H-1Bs during the first 5 business days in April. It then conducts a random lottery to select which cases it will review and adjudicate.


H-1B petitions can be approved for up to 3 years at a time, for a total of 6 years. However, there are some exceptions that would allow you to extend your status for longer.

At this time, we are committed to the health and safety of our clients, our staff and our community. The government continues to accept applications and process them as normal. We are equipped to continue to prepare and process all cases. Please keep in mind that most cases take months to process. We want to continue to prepare and process these cases, so that when we do get through this crisis, you will not have lost crucial processing time. We will perform all consultations over the phone and can be best reached through our contact form.