Spouse of a Canadian Citizen

Visit: Spouse of a Canadian Citizen

If you are married to a Canadian citizen, you can enter Canada as a visitor. This can include staying in Canada while an inland permanent residency application is pending on your behalf. You can request a Visitor Record at a port of entry or an airport as proof of status as a visitor in Canada. Please note that not all CBSA Officers will approve or issue proof of this status as it is not technically required. In fact, the purpose behind a Visitor Record is to limit a foreign nationals length of stay if the officer deems it necessary under the circumstances.

However, this can be an excellent method to stay in Canada with your spouse while your permanent residency is pending. You would also be eligible under the current pilot program, to file for an open work permit while your inland application is pending. It is your responsibility to maintain valid status while your application is pending in Canada.

General Requirements:

  • Employment abroad

  • Residency abroad

  • Health insurance abroad

  • Proof of funds

Filing Process:

Upon entry at a port of entry or an airport. We provide our clients with a customized list of documentation and information usually needed to make such determination. However this list is generated on a case by case basis.


A visitor record is usually generated for 6 months but we have had clients receive up to one year.

At this time, we are committed to the health and safety of our clients, our staff and our community. The government continues to accept applications and process them as normal. We are equipped to continue to prepare and process all cases. Please keep in mind that most cases take months to process. We want to continue to prepare and process these cases, so that when we do get through this crisis, you will not have lost crucial processing time. We will perform all consultations over the phone and can be best reached through our contact form.