Derivative Citizenship

Child of a Canadian Citizen

Depending on where and when the child was born, they may have been entitled to Canadian citizenship at birth. A child born abroad to a Canadian citizen parent is generally able to file for proof of that citizenship (see Derivative Citizenship). If your child was born after you obtained citizenship the process for immigrating them to Canada is similar to the Spousal Sponsorship.

General Requirements:

  • Birth Certificate for Child (long form showing parents)
  • Birth Certificate for Canadian Citizen Parent (long form showing parents)
  • Proof of other identification for child and Canadian Parent

Filing Process:

The complication of these cases come when determining which section of the Canadian Citizenship Act apply to this particular client. The filing process for derivative citizenship can be completed and mailed to the appropriate office in Canada for processing. It is important to consult an experienced immigration professional to evaluate your unique situation and provide you with the best-case strategy.

At this time, we are committed to the health and safety of our clients, our staff and our community. The government continues to accept applications and process them as normal. We are equipped to continue to prepare and process all cases. Please keep in mind that most cases take months to process. We want to continue to prepare and process these cases, so that when we do get through this crisis, you will not have lost crucial processing time. We will perform all consultations over the phone and can be best reached through our contact form.